IFC Round 3 Bective 2-13 Castletown 1-12

Intermediate Championship – Group C – Round 3
Bective v Castletown
Stakes were high for this long-awaited championship 3rd round match in Walterstown between Bective and Castletown. Bective started with some positional changes as players were missing or injured but looked threatening early on and attacked with speed resulting in a push-in goal from Brian Cantwell after a parried shot from Sean Keating on 5 minutes. This was quickly followed by a Marty Mulhall pointed free after a foul on Mark O’Brien. Castletown had plenty of possession and popped over 2 points on the 11th and 14th minutes either side of a Mark O Brien point for Bective. Brian Cantwell pointed on 20 minutes but Castletown found space inside, after a spectacular long range pass, and goaled on 21st minutes. Castletown followed with 2 quick points from play but the influential Ciaran Mc Connell landed a fine left footed point for Bective. Points were exchanged with a pointed free kick from Castletown and point from play from Bective’s Paul Mc Cabe. Castletown showed their experience and finished the half with a pointed free kick and 2 points from play to lead at half time with 1-8 to Bective’s 1-5.
Bective shuffled the deck and introduced Cathal Mc Connell at the start of the second half however it was Castletown who got off the mark first with a point on 5 minutes. This was followed by a Marty Mulhall pointed free kick, and points from Keating and Mulhall from play. A fine run from Cathal Mc Connell and quick interchange with Donagh Garvey facilitated Mc Connell to square to the inrushing Mark O’Brien to palm to the Castletown net on 11 minutes. Kevin Brennan, Gary Brennan and Neil Dowdall were brought on for Bective and involved themselves in the Bective revival. Excitement reached fever pitch as Castletown responded with pointed frees from fouls, mostly from efforts to contain danger man Kevin Ross. O’Brien pointed for Bective from play followed by a further Castletown pointed free kick. However Bective held firm in defence and again looked dangerous in attack and were awarded free kicks which Mc Cabe (1) and Mulhall (2) converted and put Bective ahead by 3 points. Castletown launched aerial attacks but Bective defended well and worked the ball well up the field and Sean Keating was on hand to kick over for the final score on 34 minutes. Bective were relieved to overcome this stern test from a gallant Castletown side.
Bective 2-13, Castletown 1-12.
Bective team started: Ciaran Breslin, Jack Grant, Diarmuid Rogers, Ben Malone, Donagh Garvey, Jarlath Brennan, David Fitzpatrick, Ciaran Mc Connell, Colin O’Rourke, Paul Mc Cabe, Marty Mulhall, Craig Roche, Brian Cantwell, Mark O’Brien and Sean Keating.

No Replies to "IFC Round 3 Bective 2-13 Castletown 1-12"

    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK